8.13.2008

Everything You Need Is Already Inside

I've already admitted to my addiction to the Olympics (though I draw the line at women's water polo or flat water), but I failed to relate how this addiction also (perhaps with more fervor) extends to the commercials that air during the Olympics.  I alluded to this with my vivid description of a fictitious lesbian affair with Brandi Carlile (fingers crossed - apparently she's taken.  B00.).  Anyways, I'm really quite taken with the Nike Courage ad (yes, with the Killers aptly in the background).  I love it so much, I might get the tag line as a tattoo.  Not to sound like Tony Robbins, but I employ this little phrase daily (even before the freaking Olympics) and have begun to use it even more on my Chicago journey.  Job hunting in a city you've never lived in before is a process fraught with self-doubt.  Cold calling people, emailing out resumes, networking - all of it takes courage and a lot of unshakable faith in yourself.  Since I've set my sights on consulting and Foundation work - both fields that are very cliquish and difficult to break into even for local folks, I've had to steel myself and go balls out on saying "Yes, I know I haven't the consulting experience you usually look for, but I'm a pragmatic and strategic thinker," or something like that.  Yatta yatta.  Anyways, this blog post serves more to pump me up.  I've devoted a good chunk of my day to pimping my credentials out and I'm writing this post as a hooray for me.  Haven't you people learned by now?  I'm Ashlee fucking Piper and if you tell me that I can't do something or that something is "difficult" or "off limits," I'm gonna make it happen.  Shoo, child.

Oop!  Amber just called me to let me know that she's seeing apartments with her brother and she is gobsmacked by the hugeness and awesomeness of Chi-town apartments.  "I'm standing next a claw footed tub, like the antique ones you like, in a bathroom about the size of your apartment.  In an apartment three times the size of your apartment in Boston.  And it's $1000 and allows dogs."  Is it sad/strange/funny that the real clincher was when she said the place was near a Tuesday Morning?  Har!  So, I'm feeling pretty at ease and very excited about Chicago from a social and housing perspective.  As much as I am trying to heed Haley's advice about appreciating and soaking up Boston as much as I can before I go and then getting psyched for Chicago only a few weeks before, I can't help but give myself over to fantasizing about going to the shelter (there's one called "A New Leash on Life" - hee!) and locking eyes with the puppers meant to be my little Banjo (a peek on PetFinder.com had me falling in love with lots of dogs, including a tree hound named Sassy who carries around her "baby" (a scrap of an old dog bed) and even takes it with her when her foster parents take her for a run)?  Is it so bad that I have plans to spray paint some chairs I rescued from the dumpster marigold orange/yellow and am picturing them in a lovely apartment with window boxes full of basil and clover and Marimekko curtains blowing in the breeze off Lake Michigan (give me a break, my mom's an artist)?  I think not.  After all, what is a goal if you haven't any expectations for how it will come to fruition?

You'll be happy to know that the left side of my face has fully regained feeling, so I can smile big and proper.  There's a Big Sister fundraiser tomorrow night that's gonna rock.  For a cool $75 you get an open bar, all you can eat goodies from Legal Seafood, and a DJ and cool peeps.  I'm excited and, like the exemplary Board member that I am, plan on getting good and shlockered to get my money's worth.  

It's a beautiful day today and I can't wait to get outside (after all this rain!) and take a few laps around the Reservoir.  The last few times I ran there, little chipmunks the size of my palm would leap out and scurry across to the water right as I was running near them.  I was worried I was going to step on them!  They're funny, dear little things that look nothing like the cartoons (no hats, no sunglasses).  So, fingers crossed that I don't accidentally injure one and have to take it to the vet.  Because you know I will.

Also, what is this bizness with China telling the 7 year old chickee who really sang the song for the Opening Ceremony that she's not pretty enough to be seen as the real singer?  I've never heard of such bullshit!  And, not like it makes a difference, but she's a beautiful little girl.  Crazy world we live in.

1 comment:

jason said...

i'm glad you told me to stop posting blog comments on here. because for this one i've got nothin'.

it was fun while it lasted!