8.06.2008

MBTandA


I confess that I spend most of my time doing the following things: working; sleeping; talking on the phone and writing emails (also know as "communication"); and (unfortunately) riding the T. Yes, folks, TWO FULL FUCKING HOURS OF EACH DAY are devoted to riding that Dan Grebauskas shitstorm on wheels. Of all of the lines on the T that one could ride, I feel I ride the worst: the B line. There are days I'd rather be slashed by a gang banger's knife on the Orange Line or stand under the armpit of a tatted up Irish townieperson (usually reeking of KOOLs and Bushmills) on the Blue Line, but no such luck. Instead, I spend my days on the B-line - watching scores of Boston University students and "young professionals" (recently graduated BU students working at temp agencies) show me what it really means to be young, stupid, discourteous, and endowed by equally stupid parents. Some of my friends (Abbey) were thrown a similar fate and eventually found a job that made her more miserable, but at least allowed her to drive to work. Other friends (Haley) avoided the T all together. I used to accuse her of being a Brahman-elitist, but really she's right; the T is a fucking soul suck, better avoided all together.

Last night, while spending a good portion of the after-work hours walking around and enjoying the delicious weather, I boarded the T at Government Center to head home to Brighton. Ruh Roh - Sox Game. This simple scheduling fact makes riding the T a nightmare for anyone who works downtown and needs to go west to get home. A sea of red shirts and townie taint fills the T cars like "10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag," as my very prone-to-southern-phrases father would say. And none of them, man, woman, or their spawn, will give up their seat to the occasional disabled/prego/elderly person just trying to get from point A to point B in this blasted city. Last night, a woman who was both elderly and disabled boarded the train with her walker and everyone averted their eyes so they wouldn't have to give her their seat. Well, she was wearing a visor, so you know she means fucking business and is pretty awesome anyways. She began yelling, "what the hell is the matter with you people? I worked all day and I want to sit down! You're just going to a baseball game!" It was as if I was staring into my future, which was kind scary because (a) nobody said, "Right on, lady, these people are idiots!" and (b) everyone laughed at her. I was standing nearby and felt that she needed back up. After all, I agreed with her. If I had a seat, it would've been hers and really, does a pock-faced dullard from Billerica really need a seat for the three stops it takes to get to Kenmore? So, I looked at this group of kids that were laughing at her (all with very tight ponytails and Coach knock-offs) and said, "Don't make fun of her; she's absolutely right." The kids got quiet and did that obnoxious thing that middle-schoolers do where they look around like my fly is open. This, of course, makes me also think that kids should be locked up from the ages of 8 until they're 21. Those formative years annoy the hell out of me. The woman looked at me gratefully, but the downside is she also wanted to converse with me for the rest of the 45-minute ride like we were besties. It was through this awkward conversation that I realized she was sort of crazy, but hey, who cares? She was still right. The moral of the story: Red Sox fans are a waste of space. No no no. As Triumph says, "I kid."


The real moral is: Dear people of Boston, please stop being self-centered douchebags and remember that that old person on the T who is standing is some one's Grandma or Grandpa. That pregnant woman on the T is carrying around 20+ lbs on her midriff and would likely appreciate a place to 'take a load off'. That person with a red state-issued cane? Yeah, he's blind. And ya know what's difficult? Riding the T when you're blind and standing up. In other words, stop being self-serving assholes.

Oh, on the upside, the Gap is having a buy 2, get one free event starting tomorrow. Um, so that's unrelated, but cool as hell.

No comments: