8.07.2008

Musings on Chicago

Some quick things I've noticed since networking this past week:

(1) People are so fricking nice. It's awesome and this is evident in two major ways.
Laypeople: Friends of friends parents and cousins and acquaitances (who I've never met before) have offered me places to stay (for free), use of their vehicles (for free), and in one interesting and unsolicited instance, offered up their similarly aged son to play docent to my visit of the city (I'm assuming/hoping for free). People have offered to show me the city in some of the most exciting (and non-creepy) ways. An example:

"There are lots of cozy neighborhood spots we can check out, for instance an Ethiopian place down the street from my house features Phil Cohran (of Sun Ra fame) playing trumpet and various homemade instruments to a (usually) unsuspecting audience on Friday nights."

Someone even recommended some great animal shelters because I mentioned in passing that I wanted to get a shelter pup.

Professional Networking: Even the most seemingly buttoned-up business people have offered to take me out to coffee or pimp my resume out. One man stayed on the phone with me for an hour and a half spouting suggestions, asking my desired salary range, etc. and then sent me an email a few hours later with a whole bunch of cc'd people and suggestions. People also seem to react very well when I say that I have chosen to move to Chicago for the simple (and kind of naive sounding - I'm aware) reasons that I've always liked it there and I am ready for a new adventure. The encouragement I've received when I spill this news is awesome - "What moxie!"

(2) Everyone, even hardened Bostonians, have nice things to say about Chicago. People who had lived there and for whatever reason left, send me long emails about how they miss it and what in particular they miss. The only thing people have boohooed about (after much prodding) are: the winter and the "dictatorial" municipal government (one man said, "Mayor Daley reminds me of Louis XIV." This was followed by, "you might find that vexing because I know that Massachusetts is well-known for having such an effecient and uncorrupted government" (and he meant it, too). Hi, winter? Bring it. And municipal government isn't my bag anyway. My public servant days are over as of November. Hello, cushy world of navel-gazing Foundation work or consulting!

(3) People seem normal. Granted, this is an observation based upon preliminary emails/phone calls, etc and I am in a particularly rose-colored state of mind, but hi, no one has yet to exhibit signs or symptoms of OCD/Schizophrenia/excessive use of psychotropics. I cannot say the same for my similar job hunt in Massachusetts, where one woman in particular stands out as having mentioned, while I was in an informational interview, that she doesn't touch doorknobs because "they're filthy" and can I "open the door and ask her assistant to do something for" her? Yikes.

Alright, I have to run, but these should suffice for now. Needless to say, I'm beaming. I'm sure it will wear off, as all hype does, but I am excited that this is starting to come together and with such great response, too! And, I am going to one of my favorite places in Boston (hi, Chacarero) with one of my favorite peeps, so Boston ain't so bad. :)

No comments: